NTLUG

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

NTLUG

Postby labrat » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Yesterday I attended the September NTLUG meeting. As usual, there were plenty of interesting discussions on a variety of (mostly) linux related topics. There was a demo of installing VMware followed by installing Ubuntu on a virtual machine.

There is always plenty of informal 'BS' going on in the installation section. And, yesterday I had a stimulating conversation with an engineer, new to Linux, who is interested in RT Linux for an embedded project.

While normally there are formal presentations on Linux related topics, yesterday there was none. But, there was an invitation to attend a cook-out celebrating Software Freedom Day at Dallas Makerspace (a non-profit, shared community workshop and laboratory). I went and picked up some freebies (distros, food, etc) and toured the facility. Also, I got to lay hands on the BeagleBone Black, a $45 community-supported development platform. Wow!!! If you're a tinkerer, aspiring inventor, hobbyist or craftsman you need to check this place out.

NTLUG usually meets on the 3rd Saturday of the month. We currently meet at King of Glory Lutheran Church in north Dallas. It's quite a drive from Fort Worth, but I usually carpool with other Linux geeks and enjoy the conversation and fellowship during the drive.

Dennis
labrat

Return to FWLUG General Discussions