Anyone want a SAN?

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Anyone want a SAN?

Postby stack » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:53 pm

If you have use of a full rack SAN (couple hundred TB) and you can do a pickup in downtown FW, I can hook you up. You will have to move it (and you probably would want to do that anyway because you will want to make sure you have all the cables documented so you can piece it back together) but from my understanding it is free and up for grabs.

Since you guys are in the area, you get a heads up on first dibs. I will be cross posting this over to the OKCLugNuts as well as the North Texas group here in a few days. If no one claims it real soon then it is just hitting the recycle bin.

It is a Xiotech SAN. No warranty; no support. However, they should have all the documentation and it is fully updated to where the contract ran out. I have worked on this before and you can just plug in a fiber card to get access to it (at least that is how I did it) and it just shows up as a giant disk drive. The management of the SAN was done through a web browser. I believe that they have most of the storage in the "slow" class 5400rpm drives, and just a couple of TB in their "fast" class of 7200rpm drives. The SAN supports a "super-fast" class of SSD drives, but I think the company reclaimed all of those for a newer supported SAN.

Oh, and you will need 2-4 of the 130V plugs if I remember correctly.

Anyway, reply here or send me an email at i.am.stack over at gmail. I will be responsive to emails this week, next week I will have limited email access so no guarantees, if the SAN is still around the week after that then I will have much better internet access again.

~Stack~
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: Anyone want a SAN?

Postby Davemon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 am

I'm interested.

Davemon
Davemon

Re: Anyone want a SAN?

Postby stack » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:16 am

Sorry, Russel laid claim first. My apologies for not updating this post in time. However, maybe he will let you play on the SAN when he gets it working...or host a few ISO's for you..legit Linux ISO's of course ;-).
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions