DNS ninjas

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

DNS ninjas

Postby ipatch » Sat May 07, 2011 1:32 am

Was wondering if there are any DNS ninjas trolling the message board. I recently acquired a new domain name because I stirred up the hornets nest with one I currently have, so I decided to get a new domain name. In the process of getting a new a domain name I basically got my own server (root on box). I have what appears to be a static public IP because I have have been sshing into the box with the same IP for almost two weeks now. I need to set up BIND to be an authoritative DNS server for my newly acquired domain and was wondering if someone has done this before and wouldn't mind lending a hand. I have spent a couple of of hours doing some reading on the subject and creating the necessary configuration files, but if someone on here has done this before in the past I wouldn't mind getting a second set of eyes to look over my configuration files. Anywaz if you have some free time and are familiar with what I am talking about shoot me an email or something.
ipatch

Re: DNS ninjas

Postby David Miller » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 am

I have always used djbdns instead of bind, much easier to understand and get going IMHO.

Although I really need to learn bind.
David Miller

Postby ipatch » Mon May 09, 2011 10:30 pm

David Miller wrote:I have always used djbdns instead of bind, much easier to understand and get going IMHO.

Although I really need to learn bind.

ha, yeah i heard about djbdns in a video series about DNS that I was watching this past Saturday. I kind of feel that I am really close to getting this working, so I don't really want to give up on BIND (the monolithic) approach to DNS. BTW appreciate the suggestion.
ipatch

Postby Tracy » Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 am

I don't think it matters what you use because once setup you will not mess with your DNS that often if ever. I use bind but my first option would be to use any free option available from where you purchased your domain from. It's much easier and you don't have to waste your own bandwidth with the DNS traffic. Best practices would be to use two DNS server on two different networks for redundancy. I run my own DNS servers at work, but for my personal domain I use the free option available from the company I purchased my domain from.
Tracy

Postby ipatch » Fri May 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Tracy wrote:I don't think it matters what you use because once setup you will not mess with your DNS that often if ever. I use bind but my first option would be to use any free option available from where you purchased your domain from. It's much easier and you don't have to waste your own bandwidth with the DNS traffic. Best practices would be to use two DNS server on two different networks for redundancy. I run my own DNS servers at work, but for my personal domain I use the free option available from the company I purchased my domain from.

Does this mean that godaddy.com provides free DNS service for purchasing a domain name through them?
ipatch

Postby ipatch » Fri May 13, 2011 4:46 pm

FWIW I setup my DNS using this guide -> http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/bind9-chroot.html

I still don't think my DNS is setup properly because I only setup a master zone, and "dig" is not giving me the proper feedback that it should. Hopefully, I will get this working sooner than later (crosses fingers).
ipatch

Postby tenmei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 pm

@ipatch and all - buy a domain name through GoDaddy and yes, they now provide access to their DNS. They also offer a Premium service which I don't need and don't want to pay for.

The free service is available but is pretty well hidden. Look around for a link from your domain name dashboard. It should say something like:
The new DNS manager is alive.

For domain names I had handled by another name server I had to 'Park my domain' to get it handled by their server, then I edited the appropriate records as needed.

Good luck!
Will - Registered Linux User #472082
tenmei

Return to FWLUG General Discussions