Guy with Time Capsule <- that's me.

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Guy with Time Capsule <- that's me.

Postby ipatch » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey, just wanted to say what's up to everyone who was at the meeting. I was the guy who brought the Apple Time Capsule to the meeting. I asked a couple people some questions about the hardware of the device, and got some good responses. I found out that the device is in embedded Linux system, because there was not a root "/" partition on the drive itself. Anyways, not sure if anyone in the board has an Apple Time Capsule and wants to aid in my reversing project, but if you have any suggestions send a message.

Here is the original post I made discussing what I want to achieve with the device.
http://www.hackint0sh.org/f144/117698.htm

...And just yesterday I created a wiki to further the project/hobby.
http://ipatch.penguinmilitia.net/wiki/Main_Page

The wiki has a long way to go, but it is a start.

...Also I am about to finish school for the semester, so if anyone wants to collaborate on a Linux From Scratch project, I would be down.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I made some youtube videos covering the first couple of chapters in the book, and wouldn't mind finishing where I left off, and could definitely use some help with the later chapters.

cheers
-ipatch
ipatch

Re: Guy with Time Capsule <- that's me.

Postby David Miller » Mon May 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Neat, but I just have to ask, why bother?

I have a linksys router with a USB port that runs openwrt. Seems like if I added a hard drive it could have all the functionality of that apple gadget.

Ditto for LFS. just use a distro that stays out of your way (Slackware ;-) ) and customize to your heart's content.
David Miller

Postby ipatch » Fri May 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Beginning with the Time capsule. This is a project I have been interested in for quite some time. Unfortunately I do not have a router that can run Openwrt. So I am stuck wondering what could be with this time capsule. The device has a lot of potential for being an embedded system. It has 1GHZ processor ARM/RISC processor, with what I believe to be 2GB of ram. There is all sorts of neat little applications I would like to try porting to this device. I wouldn't have to have a fully built PC for a home server, and it uses very little power. The whole project is a big learning experience for me as well, which I thoroughly enjoy. Why not?

Secondly, as for LFS, I think completing a LFS system would advance one's knowledge of UNIX systems, and make them more proficient the environment as a whole. I am sure you see the trend here, I like to work on projects, and I definitely like learning experience that is gained from the projects.

cheers
ipatch

Postby David Miller » Sun May 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Hey thats cool. I get it.

Its just that on a little gadget like that I wouldn't know where to start and it seems like you might need several units for the inevitable bricking.
David Miller

Return to FWLUG General Discussions