Evolution Mail - Some E-mail Do Not Show Up In The Inbox

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Evolution Mail - Some E-mail Do Not Show Up In The Inbox

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm writing this in the hopes it will help someone else... so, here goes...

Recently, I've been experiencing an issue where some of my e-mails in Evolution's mail do not show up in my inbox. I'm using the evolution-exchange connector on Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala to connect to an Exchange 2003 server. These messages are viewable in Outlook as well as Outlook Web Access.

In checking for this problem on the web, I noticed this appears to be an on-going problem with Evolution. So, away I go to try to figure out why I'm having this issue. While troubleshooting the problem, I discovered when I wiped out everything in ~/.evolution and fired the mail client back up, I could see some of the missing messages, briefly. I also noticed a message appearing at the very bottom of the Evolution screen stating "Applying Message Filter" (or something to that effect) and then those e-mails would disappear.

I started looking at what "filters" are available in Evolution - Bogofilter Junk Filter and SpamAssassin Junk Filter. You can get to these by going to Edit -> Plugins on the file menu and this will bring up the Plugin Manager. Disabling both filters allows the messages I couldn't see any longer to be visible. I'm going to leave it this way for a while and make sure that everything that shows up in Outlook shows up in Evolution. Then, I will re-enable one of the filters to find out which one is the culprit (I suspect it's Bogofilter; just a feeling).

Anyway, if you're having mail not showing up in Evolution (even with IMAP and POP3), you may want to disable one or both of the junk filters and see if it resolves your issue.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Return to FWLUG General Discussions