Introduction to VDPAU

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Introduction to VDPAU

Postby stack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Yet another video presentation I did with a friend*:
http://blip.tv/file/2824071/
This one is almost an hour long.

This time on a introduction to VDPAU under Linux. Feel free to skip the first 7 minutes...it is setup that I wish they had cut...

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback on if you guys liked it or not. If you guys are considering building a entertainment box, really look into VDPAU. If you have VDPAU enabled NVidia cards, use them! :-)

Enjoy!
~Stack~

*To be honest, it was HIS presentation but then he asked me to step in because he had never done any of the programming or anything. He had only done video and so I ended up taking over a lot. :lol:
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: Introduction to VDPAU

Postby stack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:46 pm

OK. I just watched the other presentation and am comfortable enough to post it now (yeah yeah, I wanted to view them to make sure they are not TOO embarrassingly bad before I posted them; can you blame me?)

Anyway, this one is related as it uses VDPAU. I run through a full install of the latest Mythbuntu. Only it was like a week old when I did this...anyway...So I setup Mythbuntu with VDPAU and answer lots of questions. It is REALLY easy to do this.

I also perform amazing stunts like knocking over the antennas and other slightly embarrassing feats that you will have to watch before I fess up to them..... :?

So without further ado,
http://blip.tv/file/3031142/

Do note that there seems to be some problems with blip.tv and this presentation so skipping around will cause this one to freak out. It is also reported as 25 minutes when it is closer to an hour.
Also note that some of the bugs and things I point out are because this distro was only a week old at the time and there are plenty of patches and updates now. :D

Enjoy!

[EDIT] About an hour in is when I show VDPAU under mythtv...after all the embarrassing hardware failures....ugh...anyway, not difficult to run VDPAU under MythTV. :-)
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: Introduction to VDPAU

Postby David Miller » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:17 pm

I like how the presentations are filmed in front of a green screen :) I'll bookmark these and give them a look when I get some time.
David Miller

Return to FWLUG General Discussions