SELinux

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

SELinux

Postby ulot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

I was thinking about putting together a basic presentation on SELinux since Randy said that hasn't been covered yet. Hopefully explain the basic principles behind it and some examples of how it works. For those of you that don't know, SELinux stands for Security-Enhanced Linux. It is a project started by the NSA designed to provide a more grandular and flexible security controls to Linux. Is this a topic the group would be interested in?
ulot

Re: SELinux

Postby maczimus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Are agencies actually using this? i wish that NMCI was using this for the server base....would probably be much more cost effective and secure at the same time.
maczimus

Postby ulot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Yes, government agencies do use it. Mandatory access controls, which SELinux provides, are a requirement to comply with DoD Orange Book standards. It is enabled by default on recent Fedora distributions as well.
ulot

Postby David Miller » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Yes I am interested in SELinux. I'd like to have an introduction to it.

Another way to achieve good security without going the virtualization route.
David Miller

Postby LinuxNative » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:21 pm

I am very interested. I look forward to your presentation.
LinuxNative

Postby stack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Having run into SELinux a lot recently, I too would be interested in a good write up. Since I won't me at the meeting :cry: would you mind posting your notes online?

~Stack~
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Postby ulot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

I am working on some slides at the moment. It shouldn't take me but a couple days to finish it up. Fair warning though: I suck at presentations and slides. This will be very rough since I don't have a lot of time to edit it. I will make sure to post the slides here when I am done and include some links to some good starting material.

The presentation will not be very in-depth. There is a lot to SELinux and I am not much of an expert. It will be more of an introduction to the concepts and tools.
ulot

Return to FWLUG General Discussions