Goodbye Everyone!

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Goodbye Everyone!

Postby stack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:25 am

Good news and bad news.

Good news: I got a new job

Bad news: It is in Oklahoma City (More specifically the bad news is that I am moving away from Ft Worth).

I have been hired to <strike>play</strike> work on a really big cluster and I am very excited. This is going to be a good opportunity for me and I will finally be <strike>playing</strike> working with large scale clusters again (I also will not have to work multiple jobs anymore! :)). I officially start on August 3rd, but I will be moving over the weekends throughout August.

If things go according to plan, then I will still make the next meeting. However, I just wanted to let everyone know now and I wanted to say thanks to the group.

Thanks everyone! It has been a lot of fun!
Thanks esp to Randy for putting together so many meetings.
Also,Thanks to Terry and Wayne for places to meet the last few years.

Hopefully I will make it to the next meeting and say bye in person (again, it is in the plans but moving can be a pain and cause unexpected events sometimes).

Take care!

~Stack~
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: Goodbye Everyone!

Postby maczimus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:40 pm

DUDE!!!! We will miss you but don't leave altogether. stick around on the forums and stuff... Congrats! I will most likely be at the next meeting.
maczimus

Postby Davemon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Hey, Great news! I called your new employer to give them a referral. I told them about all your friends at the LUG, they were quite interested in everything I had to say. It went on for a bit, and towards the end of the call they said that they changed their minds and wouldn't be needed your services. Welcome back!!!! :lol:

On a more serious note, we'll miss you but wish you the best.

Davemon
P.S. Can I have your old job?
Davemon

Postby stack » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:33 am

So I am packing things up and tossing away a bunch of stuff that I don't want to haul away. This includes some computer equipment.

I am not sure if anyone is interested in this stuff, but thought I would make mention of it before I toss it into recycling.

I have seven ST118273W Seagate Barracuda 18GB 7200RPM 68-Pin SCSI hard drives. For a fast striped RAID system, they worked really REALLY well. Till one of the controllers died... All of the drives still work fine, but I only have one controller. I know there are some in the group who like SCSI drives so I thought I would just put this out there.

I also have three SUN systems that I have had for 2 years because I never could find a keyboard for them. If anyone wants to tinker with some SUN equipment, let me know.

Have fun!
~Stack~

PS: Not computer related at all but I put this up on craigslist the other day if anyone is looking for a couch. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/fuo/1276355297.html
stack

Postby Randy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:22 am

Hey! Don't forget us now that you've got this big time job! ;)

I'm definitely going to miss having you around - you're one of the more knowledgeable members of our group. I'd bet there's a handful that think you're Santa Claus because of all the "toys" you've brought for others to take home. I want to thank YOU for stepping up to the plate and doing some great presentations over the last couple of years!

Hopefully, we will see you at the next meeting. All the best for the future! Keep in touch!
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby glevans2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Dude,

Congratulations on the job. It's not every offer that lets us play with what we yearn most to do.

You will be sorely missed, but we will carry on. Please keep hanging on the forums.

Peace.
Garen L. Evans, II
++It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.++
glevans2

Postby stack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:21 pm

Not planning on dropping off the forums, just don't know how many meetings I can make with a 3.5hr-each-way drive. That is a lot of gas! :lol:

In the mean time, I might have a few more "toys" show up if anyone wants them. I have already gotten a few PM's for the above equipment. Glad I can send them on to a good home :mrgreen:
stack

Postby JohnThree16 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Sorry to hear the news about you moving on, however, I know that there are good things in-store for you. Congrats!
Thanks again for all your help over the last year.

FYI, I will be moving to Northwest Arkansas to be closer to family.
JohnThree16

Postby stack » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 pm

JohnThree16 wrote:FYI, I will be moving to Northwest Arkansas to be closer to family.

You too will be missed! Take care!

Also, I never got a chance to follow up on that computer I gave you a few months ago. Did everything end up working OK?
stack

Postby JohnThree16 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 pm

I have been away from the group for a while. My parents came into town one month, then my wife's grandmother pasted away and I had a great uncle pass away. I am planning on attending the next meeting.

Everything went well with the PC thanks! Congrats on the Job!
JohnThree16

Return to FWLUG General Discussions