MiFi

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

MiFi

Postby stack » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:31 am

Someone sent me a link to this:
http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/mobilehotspot.html

Since it is a WiFi hotspot there are no OS restrictions and up to 5 PC's can be attached at any given time! Supposedly it works really well in the car and that is something I am interested in. However, is it just me or are those data plans outrageously expensive? 5GB a month for 60$ !!

Maybe these are reasonable prices, maybe not. I don't have anything like it so I thought I would ask the group (cause I know several people have these kind of plans). Personally, I think that 5GB is highly unreasonable. I balk at that more then the price. On one of my monthly road trips (3-8 hrs depending on the location), I could easy break 5GB. I have been really bored before and went through 5GB of just watching youtube videos.

I think it is a really cool gadget. I know this wouldn't be a complete replacement for my internet, however, I have a feeling I would use it a lot just as I go about a normal week. I can think of a ton of uses for it.
It would be awesome for the Linux meetings.
My mother-in-law doesn't have internet at all when we visit (I am contently writing down topics that she wants me to look up when I get my internet connection back).
When I car-pool into work, I usually have a lot of downtime waiting on people (and then the drive).
A few of my friends have internet, but only one PC so they plug directly into their internet connection and I have to bring a router when I drop by.
A lot of motels have crappy internet at best and most of the hotels have way-over-priced crappy internet. I wouldn't care with one of these.
ect ect ect.

Anyway, I think it is fantastic but not with 5GB a month for 60$ a month. Just seeing what you guys thought about it.
~Stack~
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: MiFi

Postby Davemon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:19 pm

I checked into Sprints wireless service, about $60 a month, and it too has a 5 Gig per month cap. I was polite but determined and went up the chain of command trying to get a better class of service. They do not offer any.

I explained that 166 MB a day is easily broken with todays web pages, if you download anything, or watch any videos. They weren't the decision makers. I can only hope they passed on my request towards someone who can make a good call.

Davemon
Davemon

Postby Randy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 pm

A 5GB/month cap has been in place with Verizon since at least 2005 (that's my first experience with that type of plan). While I worked at Perlos, I remember the IT department receiving a nasty-gram from Verizon for one of our users exceeding the 5GB limit. They were downloading music, videos, etc. It's very easy to get there - then they nail you for anything over that.

I agree that the limit is pretty low. But, they make the rules. And because of those rules, I choose not use any of them.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby stack » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:12 am

Yeah. It looks like I won't be using them either.

Thanks for the information guys!
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions