Electronic Guru HELP!

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Electronic Guru HELP!

Postby LinuxNative » Fri May 15, 2009 5:04 pm

I am getting a couch from the UK. It has electronic motorized recliners. In the UK they use 220 volt, and here we are on 110. I need a power converter to go from 110v ac to 24v dc. I've called Radio Shack. They don't have one for 24volt. Just the usual 12v and 9v.

Does anyone know of a place I can get such a converter?
LinuxNative

Re: Electronic Guru HELP!

Postby Randy » Fri May 15, 2009 8:33 pm

What you probably want/need is a step-up transformer (110V to 220V/240V)... without seeing what you have, that is just a guess.

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... =107600130

Apparently, you spoke to a clueless salesperson as according to the webpage these are available in-store and online.

Now, here's the important part - you need to know the power rating on the recliner before buying the transformer. That information should be somewhere on the recliner (maybe not - as I don't recall whether or not English law requires it to be labeled). In any case, the power can be calculated by motors that are installed. It may also have a transformer built into the recliner that could possibly be replaced.

The device above is good up to 150 watts according to the technical specifications. It may be sufficient for your use.

Call me if you want to know more...
Last edited by Randy on Fri May 15, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby LinuxNative » Sat May 16, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks Randy! That does look like a good solution. I will need 3 of them, and at 70 bucks a pop... I would really like to replace the existing converters to 110v ac. The motors on the recliners are 24v dc. There has to be an electronics shop that has such converters. I just have to find them.
LinuxNative

Postby Randy » Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm

If they're truly 24VDC motors, then it shouldn't be too hard to find a transformer/power supply replacement that should work. You may have to order it from Jameco, MCM Electronics or other place. Most the places I used to do business with are out-of-business now. :(
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby David Miller » Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 pm

What a coincidence. I was recently trying to find a 24v ac/dc adaptor. I found a few online. But I just got a 30v adapter from radio shack and it seems to work fine for my 24v thing.

They sell one that can be switched between 15v and 30v, in stock at most stores. Be careful they also sell a 110 to 24v AC adaptor which is probably not what you want hehe.
David Miller

Postby erroneus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:44 am

Tanner Electronics. Those people are the opposite of Clueless. And they probably have the parts you need.
erroneus

Postby bboyer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:28 pm

24-volt motors may take more power than a standard power supply can offer. However, there are surplus places that sell all sorts of open-frame power switching power supplies that might fit the bill. Are you absolutely sure it will only work on 220 VAC? Many products (like laptops) have power supplies designed to work from 100-240 volts AC. The original transformer may possibly be rewired to work on 110 VAC. If you can get a wiring diagram it would sure help.
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

-- Benjamin Disraeli
bboyer

Return to FWLUG General Discussions