Battletanks (top down scroller)
4%
Bomber Clone (Like Bomberman)
8%
Frozen Bubble (Puzzle)
8%
Open Arena (1st Person)
8%
Other (Please comment below) (Should be in repos or easily installed)
16%

Total votes : 25

Need votes on games that we will play next month

Postby maczimus » Mon May 11, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey everybody. I have compiled a list of games in the Ubuntu Repositories that we could play next month on Game day. I know some of you do not use Ubuntu and this list is definitely open for additions. Ideally it would be best to be able to install these games either from the repositories OR from .deb/.rpm files. I would like for everybody, even those not able to compile from source to enjoy game day ;) I tried to put a few different Genres in there for everybody as not everyone enjoys first person shooters. PLEASE add more and post if you need help! and let's all have fun and get our game on!

Also below are Apt Links to install the games just by clicking the link...

apt://alien-arena
apt://glest
apt://sauerbraten
apt://tremulous
apt://warsow
apt://bomberclone
apt://btanks
apt://frozen-bubble
apt://openarena

And here are some extra ones!!! (they only allow 10 poll entries)

apt://scorched3d
apt://teeworlds
apt://warzone2100

Due to popular Demand. Tetrinet has been added below....(we need to have at least 1 server)

apt://gtetrinet (client)
apt://tetrinetx (server)
Last edited by maczimus on Wed May 20, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
maczimus

Re: Need votes on games that we will play next month

Postby David Miller » Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 am

I like bzflag alot. I will run a server if anyone is interested.

Glest looks really cool but I am not sure if it will run on my older machine.

I played tremulous last time, and it was OK, but I didn't like the whole building and leveling up thing. I think that kind of thing really slows down the action in a fps game.

I want to try tetrinet, that seems like a simple, quick game that people can get in to. Bomberclone is probably the same, I will download that and try it.

I am downloading openarena right now, I used to play quake3 all the time so I am sure I will like it provided I can get it running smoothly, openarena should be much quicker than Tremulous.

So out of those listed, I am most excited about bomberclone and openarena. Ones I would add are bzflag and tetrinet.
David Miller

Postby stack » Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 am

I second tetrinet.
It looks like fun and this time I won't be leeching files so I should have plenty of bandwidth :wink:
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Postby David Miller » Sun May 24, 2009 9:46 am

I am re-addicted to openarena. I even plugged in the old mouse that I used to play quake3 with.

OpenArena > Tremulous
David Miller

Postby maczimus » Sun May 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Remember all, you can vote for all 10 if you want but it looks like Tremulous, Tetrinet and Alien Arena are in the lead...

Be sure to install all the games before the meeting as we don't want to bog down the net at the VFW.
maczimus

Postby erroneus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Please have a look at "Urban Terror." It is very stable and works well on quite a few machines and is also rather easy to set up. Running a game server is also rather trivial.
erroneus

Postby David Miller » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:02 am

I played urban terror a few times back in my quake3 playing days, it is pretty cool.
David Miller

Postby David Miller » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Looking forward to tomorrow. Im trying to get my machine ready to play all these games.

I'll run an openarena and bzlfag server. I will try to get a tetrinet server going too.

I'm on slackware, and I know at least a couple of other people are so I will take notes on what I do or save the pacakges I build.

Hey, I am looking to get a copy of all the mame/snes/nes/etc roms. I used to have a pretty good collection of all the roms but I lost them in a hard drive crash years back. It would be nice if someone had them and I could copy them over the lan saturday. I have some SNES controllers hacked to plug into the paralell port.
David Miller

Postby erroneus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:49 pm

I'll check my archives, but I believe I once had a comprehensive collection of SNES ROM images. I also have two SNES controllers and SNES to USB adapters.

But you make a good point. If people would be good enough to prepare and announce their intentions of what they would like to play, we can all prepare in advance a bit better. I recently installed Fedora 11 and I have to say, I have done the least amount of tweaking after installation so far. It had worked out quite well for me on my hardware including the use of the fingerprint reader for authentication. Pretty sweet stuff. I plan to have Urban Terror and one or two other popular alternates... popularity to be determined by the commentary on this thread.
erroneus

Postby maczimus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm

I have a crapload of roms somewhere....I will try and locate them....
maczimus

Meeting Reminder - Mass E-Mail Non-functional

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:28 pm

All,

Normally, I would have sent a meeting reminder by now. Unfortunately, the mass e-mail function of the board isn't working. I'm not sure if this is due to the board upgrade or some other change, as this all worked last month.

I just wanted everyone to be aware that until it's resolved, you will not receive any notifications about meetings or events the way we've been doing it.

Thanks!
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby erroneus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I have located the ROM files. They are in 7zip format. There is at least 1.6GB worth. So be sure to bring something with enough room to hold it all. If you want the whole shebang of what I found, you should have at least 5GB available.
erroneus

Postby David Miller » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Awesome thanks.
David Miller

Postby David Miller » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 am

had fun playing with everyone last time.

I want to check out glest some more, I just noticed that slackbuilds.org posted a glest package today for the slackware folks.

Anyone want to play glest online with me?
David Miller

Return to FWLUG General Discussions