OpenVZ - Server Virtualization

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

OpenVZ - Server Virtualization

Postby Randy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:39 pm

As some of you know, I recently started a new job. One of the software packages they're using is OpenVZ. I had never heard of this software until I started working with it, last week.

It's nothing like VMWare or Xen. It's fairly easy to set up and use. I thought this might be of interest to some of you so I'm posting some basic information about the software here. For more information, see the OpenVZ website.

"What is OpenVZ?

OpenVZ is an Operating System-level server virtualization solution, built on Linux. OpenVZ creates isolated, secure virtual environments — VEs (otherwise known as virtual private servers, or VPSs) on a single physical server enabling better server utilization and ensuring that applications do not conflict. Each VE performs and executes exactly like a stand-alone server; VEs can be rebooted independently and have root access, users, IP addresses, memory, processes, files, applications, system libraries and configuration files."
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby LinuxNative » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Hmmm...do I smell a topic for a meeting?
LinuxNative

re: OpenVZ - Server Virtualization

Postby glevans2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:32 pm

LinuxNative wrote:
[quote]
Hmmm...do I smell a topic for a meeting?

[/end quote]

If thats a motion, then I second. (Please)
Garen L. Evans, II
++It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.++
glevans2

Postby glevans2 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:41 am

Randy

From what I've read it appears that openvz kernel is primarily for redhat based distro's.

Since it is just a specialized kernel, would it be extremely difficult to engineer it for another distro, or just really tedious.

Also, in your experience, would this be a good foundation for a high-end master server to implement several chores as seperate vm's (internet web server, intranet web portal, common db server, linux terminal server, mail, fax, M$ server test platform, etc....).
Garen L. Evans, II
++It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.++
glevans2

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:56 pm

glevans2 wrote:Randy

From what I've read it appears that openvz kernel is primarily for redhat based distro's.

Since it is just a specialized kernel, would it be extremely difficult to engineer it for another distro, or just really tedious.

Also, in your experience, would this be a good foundation for a high-end master server to implement several chores as seperate vm's (internet web server, intranet web portal, common db server, linux terminal server, mail, fax, M$ server test platform, etc....).

Somehow, I missed this question, so I apologize for the untimely reply.

It seems to work well with web servers, database servers, and probably mail servers (we're not running any virtualized mail servers, to my knowledge). I can't see it being useful for being a terminal server or a Microsoft test platform. The virtualization really doesn't fit into what you're probably familiar with.

QEMU seems to be better suited for the last two, but you'll definitely want plenty of memory if you go that route. I still haven't had much of a chance to play with Xen, yet. Soon, I hope.

OpenVZ is the FOSS version of Virtuozzo (sp?) There are other kernels available besides Red Hat's. I was running a Gentoo-based OpenVZ on my workstation for awhile. I believe you can build your own kernel (based upon what I've seen here at work - it appears to be a custom kernel).
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby stack » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:03 am

I will third the motion to see a topic day on Virtual Machines.

glevans2 wrote:would this be a good foundation for a high-end master server to implement several chores as seperate vm's (internet web server, intranet web portal, common db server, linux terminal server, mail, fax, M$ server test platform, etc....).

I do not claim to know a lot about this product, but from what I understand only XP works really well and it is limited. I do believe the support for Linux and BSD is good (from what I hear).

I know that it isn't Open Source but VMware Server does do the job really well and they at least play with and help out in the Linux community. They have submitted patches and fixes back to the community and have released several of their tools to the Open Source community (and there is even a bit of support for them in Ubuntu's repositories). So I personally do not mind backing them as a company as long as they continue doing so. Then again I may be a bit biased because I have been using them for so many years and they are what I currently use at home and work. :oops:

Anyway, I still would like to see an Open Source product rival them though. Thats why I would like to see more about Xen and other open source virtual machines if someone is willing to present.
stack

Postby Randy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:20 pm

While I haven't quite posted it, yet, I actually have Cacti/Munin on the agenda for August.

Perhaps we can do the virtual machines in September?
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Return to FWLUG General Discussions