FC6 - empty Yum repository - Cannot update

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

FC6 - empty Yum repository - Cannot update

Postby jfroy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:51 am

Hi,

Does anybody know why when yum tries to download updates on the fedora site it does not work because the folder it is looking into is EMPTY. My version is FC6.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... e/updates/

Does fedora support only its latest version? Where should I go. I need to install php-gd via yum.

Should I specify a new repository.

I am lost.

Thanks

John
jfroy

Re: FC6 - empty Yum repository - Cannot update

Postby hronmeer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:25 am

My understanding is that each release of Fedora is supported for about 13 months, or until 2 following releases have been put out. After that, they stop supporting the older releases. The current release of Fedora is 10, which is what I'm running now, with 11 expected to release on May 26.
hronmeer

Postby maczimus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Is there a way to upgrade to the latest release? or at least do incremental updates to get up to the latest? I didnt know that they dropped ALL packages once the version was obsolete! that's wild!
maczimus

Postby Davemon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:06 pm

What size hard drive are you using? It looks like you don't want to lose what you have. I might have a spare that you can use to ghost your current drive so you can try upgrading, risk free.

Davemon
Davemon

Postby hronmeer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:58 pm

As far as I know, the only method you have for updating it is to download the latest release, and run the update. I've always done a clean install, though, so I can't speak on how well the update runs, and I have no idea how well it would work trying to update from a version 4 releases back. I also know that with Fedora 9, they made available a new app called Preupgrade, which will download only what is necessary to upgrade to the latest release, without needing the entire installation disc, but I don't know if it will work with FC 6, especially since Preupgrade is downloaded from YUM.

You're probably going to be best off backing up all your data to an external drive, and then using the latest release to either upgrade or run a clean install.
hronmeer

Postby Randy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:13 am

As a work-around, you might try looking for just the RPM package and install it manually.

Fedora Core 6 is such an old release, I doubt there are very many repositories still supporting it. However, it appears rpm.pbone.net has an experimental yum repository (you'll have to sign-up for it. You can also download the appropriate package and install it manually.

http://rpm.pbone.net/
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Return to FWLUG General Discussions