Backups

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Backups

Postby stack » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm

Hey guys,
For the longest time my backups have been either simple TAR scripts or simple rsync scripts. They always got the job done quick and painless. Well I just had a meeting recently to review some new software that the company is thinking about <scratch>buying</scratch> annual-payment-licensing. I wasn't there for the presentation, just the review talking about it. I did find out that this stuff isn't cheap by any definition. Anyway, it has managed to wow and dazzle several people and I /know/ I can do better (esp for the cost!). However, before I attempt to do so on my own I thought I would take a look at what is out there.

So after going through the 'oooh's and 'ahh's as well as what we would like to see, we came up with a "wishlist". Many of the items are apparently well supported (like backing up to a hard drive and setting schedules). So I am not mentioning them; just the ones I am still researching.

1) Cross platform. Linux, Windows, Mac. Just about every version since the mid-nineties of all three. While that isn't a criteria point for us the Linux, XP, Vista, (future) Windows7 is.

2) Full restore of partitions. It isn't smart enough to capture the partitions, but it does remember partitions well enough that it knows that [Group of files] belongs on drive/mount [mount point]. The cool factor is taking a full backup of an XP box (single partition), then applying the backup to a different system. The user never knew the difference. This isn't something like partimage or Norton Ghost which backs up the whole partition; it just knows where what files were located and restores them.

3) Historical incremental changes. It apparently had some customizing tweaks so that if you had a file change daily, you could set it to keep each revision for X number of days. If the file stopped being updated, the older historical versions would be deleted (to save space on the backup drive) until it got to the last version and it would only keep the latest. If the file was deleted, it hung around for the same amout of X days before actually being deleted for good.

4) Screensaver backup. When the screensaver kicked on, it would start running. This way files were constantly being backed up and the scheduled backup became almost trivial.

The Open Source projects I have just started looking at are:
Bacula http://www.bacula.org/en/
Mondo http://www.mondorescue.org/
AMANDA http://www.amanda.org/

What do you guys use?
Has anyone used these products?
Are there any others that you might suggest I look at?

I will report back what I find out.

Thanks,
Chris Stackpole

[EDIT] I forgot one....kind of an important one too...The users need easy access to restore a file. Just so that if they go "whoops! Shouldn't have deleted that!" They don't have to call the Tech Guys. This is one of the biggest reasons behind the new software. The IT group is getting annoyed at all the phone calls. It is a popular theory (/just/ a "theory") that since the users know the data is backed up, they they are more careless because they think they have a safety net. ;-) The IT guys don't really like being the safety net. :-D
Another reason why I am glad I don't deal with the users directly! :-D
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: Backups

Postby stack » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:40 am

Just a quick update....
I had loads of problems getting bacula to run. So once again, I scrapped that project...

Mondo doesn't meet the requirements we were looking for.

Amanda was OK, but we had some configuration problems and we didn't want to mess around with trying to figure out where in the configuration we had gone wrong.

fwbackups runs really well on Linux. I kinda of like it. It doesn't have everything I want, but it has the majority. I have yet to get an install to work on Windows and I am tired of dealing with GTK/Python errors on Windows. I tried reporting it as a bug, but they use Red Hats bug tracker and it isn't letting me log in. So Bleh. If they can't bother having a working bug tracker then it isn't worth any more of my time trying to report a bug... http://www.diffingo.com/oss/fwbackups

BackupPC. This so far is the best solution I have found. The only problem I have had with it is that it doesn't backup files which are 'locked' or it thinks are locked. The one scenario I have not tested yet is a backup of one system and then a complete restore to a fresh installed system. Supposedly it can be done, but I wonder how well it would handle licensing/genuine (dis)advantage/programs which have edited the registry. It does have an extremely simple web interface to use. I think this is the one we will pursue.

Hope that helps anyone else looking for a good backup solution.
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Re: Backups

Postby maczimus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm

For myself I use Dropbox

Incremental, versioning, syncing across multiple computers. Linux Mac AND Windows.

http://getdropbox.com

watch the video on the website. dont think it would be good for large enterprises but would work great for small offices and personal use.
maczimus

Return to FWLUG General Discussions