Internet devices- intergration

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Internet devices- intergration

Postby TexWebslinger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Has anyone implemented services to support Internet devices, such as a Blackberry phones.
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Re: Internet devices- intergration

Postby Holden » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 am

I've configured a couple of BB Enterprise Server installs, one on M$ $B$ and more recently on a member server.
Holden

Postby TexWebslinger » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:59 am

I know that you can dl M$ software from BB, to run on your servers. But, I have not played with a BB yet?
Some web sited have, mobile phone, BB, iPhone, versions for their pages...Just trying to get a handle on the various
distros :) What make, each family different, pros/cons, and software apps :) ?

I guess the questions are;
1) is there Linux software/solutions to running software for the BB other than a virtual machine?
2) what general gains to you achieve by using a BB?(you always hear them called crackberries, etc)
Apparently, you may read word & excel data files? Sync contacts/appointments and use an exchange server?
Can you auto backup/sync to your servers?
3) Can you stream video onto this device from a standard web link? Does the video have to be sized just for this
unit or will the units auto size?

What has caused my interest, is that Metro now carries the BB 9330 for $50 or $60/month. The extra 10 is for BB server running. I see no explanation for what a BB server is. Can I run this on my servers(I can download the software for M$), but in Linux version? I enjoy my Z6m, but it is just short of a "tool". It's a good phone as such, but it is frustrating as a web device/tool. Issues with the really "tool type" devices such as BB and iPhones are that certain carries handle them, only. The monthly charges, tend to make them not practical. Over the next year or two, my information is that the basic moble industry is going away from contracts and to more or less universal phones that will interchanged providers. You will simply change your card and be on another carrier. So, you may have some local unlimited plan, and some other carrier for national or international service. This tends to me common overseas in certain countries. Certainly, this type of topic is going to pick up steam :)

As always thanks for the info, and help....
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Postby maczimus » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:20 pm

I have an 8800 series model and no. the browser sucks and i dont have an option to stream video.

found this, if you run Ubuntu. I support the set-up and operation of these things at work so you can understand the frustration i have with them. they are usually underpowered and brickbreaker sucks.. ;)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/Blackberry
maczimus

Postby Holden » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Not aware of other solutions to run BB Ent Server or Desktop Manager. BB ES defaults to autosync contacts and calender appts. Wireless backup of user account settings and data is automatic once you introduce a BB device into Enterprise Server. No experience with video content, but have seen a way to disable per user device in the Media content types.
Holden

Return to FWLUG General Discussions