Lenny released

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Lenny released

Postby Insanity5902 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:24 am

I know for most this is old news, but I am curious, after 22 months of being in development who is excited that it is finally here?
Insanity5902

Re: Lenny released

Postby Davemon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:05 am

What took em so long?

After 22 months, so many changes took place in the kernel and what not, I imagine they had to redo a whole bunch of work.

I DO feel a little guilty sticking to Ubuntu, which uses a lot of Debian work, but I think Ubuntu is almost wagging the dog now.

Davemon
Davemon

Postby stack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:40 am

You have no idea how pumped I am. :D

Anyway, a lot of the kernel changes that are being pushed out recently are just barely making it into the next Ubutnu release. Many aren't. So I think this is a good release time for Debian in regards to the kernel. Get a solid release before a ton of changes roll out so that by the next release those changes are now solid. That is kinda Debian's thing for the stable release anyway. Be as rock-solid-stable as possible.

Still, I have a few servers that run recent 64bit processors and they had issues with Etch. They ran perfect under Lenny. However, I was always a bit worried about running testing on production servers. I run testing on my desktops and dev servers, but production? :? So I am REALLY glad to update them to stable. So far no problems at all and it is a solid release. I have been a fan of Lenny for a while. I think it is the best Debian release that I have been a part of (I started using Debain just before the Sarge release). So yeah, I am pumped.

Oh, and Dave. Don't feel bad about Ubuntu. They still contribute upstream to Debian and they are the front layer for newbies. They provide a great buffer between those just getting started and the rock-solid-stable-but-can-be-old release or volatile testing/unstable/experimental world that is Debian.

Anyway, back to upgrading 5 servers from Etch/Windows to Lenny. :D
~Stack~
Product Keys? Imaginary Property rights? Digital Restriction Management?
These things confuse me and I have no need for them for I run Debian Linux!
stack

Postby glevans2 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 am

I was actually surprised that this thread was started by someone other than Stack. :D
Garen L. Evans, II
++It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.++
glevans2

Postby tenmei » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 pm

I'm a little hardware poor at the moment so I thought I'd set Lenny up as a VM. The host is Ubuntu 8.04 running on a Shuttle XP.
I chose the Graphical install and I was really impressed as the installation progressed. I thought this looks very professional, clean, sleek, etc.
It bombed at the stage of adding additional packages (I chose desktop to see how that looked).
I tried that step again, with the same result.
I tried skipping that step and moving on to Install Grub. Fail.
Lacking the time to dig in for clues, I just powered off the VM.
Anyone have ideas or suggestions?
Will - Registered Linux User #472082
tenmei

Postby Randy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:30 pm

What virtualization software are you using?
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby tenmei » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:34 pm

VMWare Server 1.06
-- later --
Meanwhile, I started over with a fresh install (Netinstall) without the desktop. Everything worked great.
As a newcomer to Debian, I like what I've seen so far. I have much reading to do. Ultimately I plan to use Debian for servers but I have several income projects to complete first.

I'd welcome any advice or suggestions, and TIA!
Will - Registered Linux User #472082
tenmei

Return to FWLUG General Discussions