Anyone Using Gentoo?

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Anyone Using Gentoo?

Postby Randy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Anyone here using Gentoo on a regular basis?
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby theTick197 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:03 pm

ive been wanting to install it in my ps3, but i cant since i dont have an hd setup yet. But soon.....
theTick197

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:53 am

Since it's a source-based distribution, you realize that it takes a long time to install Gentoo, right?

Although I have X, Gnome, and a rebuilt kernel finished, I'm still setting it up on a spare hard drive at home. However, it's definitely faster than the pre-built binaries most distributions provide.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby LinuxNative » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 am

I started insalling it a few years ago. During the install, I saw something shiney and quit. I never started back. Damn ADD!
LinuxNative

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:34 am

Gentoo is definitely NOT for the ADD -inclined!

At the rate I'm going, I think I will be building the system I've started on well into the summer!

It's just the learning curve...
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby theTick197 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 pm

well maybe ill just put yellow dog on it then.
theTick197

Postby LinuxNative » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Gentoo is too difficult for me. I don't like change, and it was hard enough for me to wean myself off of Winblows. I'll just stick to FC. ;)
LinuxNative

Postby Terry » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:17 pm

There's a lot to be said for sticking with the same distro.

They all have the same [vast array] of open-source applications to choose from and you can customize any distribution to suit your particular needs - just keep installing and removing applications until you get exactly what you want.

I started using Linux 7 years ago and have learned a lot, but would have learned more had I stuck with the same distribution from the start.
I stumbled through several of the major distributions, starting with RedHat and then on to Slackware, Peanut, Caldera, Mandrake, etc. My first idea was to try them all - until I realized that the list was way too long and besides that, the list keeps growing.

I learned a lot about the install processes and that was good, but all the distro-hopping contributed little to the basic learning process, it interrupted it more than anything else. While I learned a lot about the differences between the distributions and their respective install programs, I would have learned the important things faster had I have not spent so much time switching from one to another. I have to admit I did learn, and I learned a lot, and it was fun, (still IS fun for sure), but I really recommend sticking with one distribution, you'll have an easier time of it in the long run.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but you waste a lot of time and energy climbing over all those fences. :)

Fedora Core is a good distribution, it's well supported, it is a distribution that you know will always be around, the package manager is convenient and user friendly, it's easy to install new applications or remove un-needed ones, there are rpms for everything under the sun - I could go on - there are lots of reasons Fedora Core is a good distribution.

I think one of the most important things to know about Fedora is that the latest version is "bleeding edge" - the second latest is "cutting edge". </IMO>
Registered Linux User 188099
<><
Terry

Postby Randy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:46 pm

My interest with Gentoo is strictly professional. This is the distribution they have chosen to use - hence, I have to learn it. Judging from the responses, so far, it doesn't look like anyone else is using it. Hmmmm? I think I smell an upcoming meeting topic! 8)

One of my many reasons for testing out the different mainstream distros is for the folks that come to the meetings and require some assistance. You might be considered the resident expert on Slackware, however! Me? I do fine with Red Hat-based distros and I get by with a little help from the Internet for anything else. ;)

I will admit that building from source seems to be the way to go if you want a Linux system that flies, though! The execution speed on everything is phenomenal! Although, the time to build from source code and put up with some problems building binaries is a bit of a pain.

I can't wait to see how long it's going to take when I do an `emerge -DuN world`. Start on Friday and finish late Monday? hehehehe!
Last edited by Randy on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby Terry » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:59 am

Hey, I'm all for speed. If we can make our OS run faster, if we can make things happen faster on our computers - that's a good thing.
Registered Linux User 188099
<><
Terry

Postby LinuxNative » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Speed kills. ;)
LinuxNative

Postby theTick197 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:51 pm

hazza! I now have Gentoo Linux on my playstation 3. I must say i really enjoy it.
theTick197

Postby Randy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:28 am

This would be a good time to let others know how you did it! But, post it under the "Installations" forum.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby LinuxNative » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 am

I would like to know also. Maybe you can bring it to the meeting and let everyone chek it out? I can bring a small tv if needed.
LinuxNative

Postby theTick197 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:10 pm

I dont know if i will be able to bring it to the meeting or not, cause i am going on a UIL trip to regionals friday and its going to be over night. So i dont know what time ill get back the next day. But if i can come ill bring it. I got this adapter that puts component cables out on a computer monitor, so its at a nice, clear resolution.( When i brought my xbox running debian up, the adapter i had used composite cables and probably made a lot of peoples eye sights permanently worse.) But theres a pretty good how to for the install on this web site - http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_Howto
In the future after i can get some more money together i want to get a usb tv tuner for it, install myth tv on there and build a hdtv antennae.
oh and if anybody is curious about xbox linux check out this site - http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page
theTick197

Next

Return to FWLUG General Discussions