What to do with donations

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

What to do with donations

Postby stack » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:31 pm

I have been thinking about donations recently. I get a lot of hardware from various sources that I bring to the meetings and I have a lot of hardware that I have collected over the years that I bring to the meetings. I have built up who-knows-how-many systems for newcomers and those who need upgrades. I know I am currently working with 5 different people that I have built a computer for and am helping them get their feet wet with Linux and I have helped get systems put together for many more.

Thats just me too! I don't know how many times Dave has swung to the rescue with a part from his van (he is quickly reaching superhero status in the random-spare-parts-to-the-rescue dept. :lol: ). I know that many members have brought parts and pieces and built PC's and have helped many many people get to know Linux. I love the fact that we can not only help out each other but the community around us with parts that would have otherwise been wasted somewhere somehow.

At the same time, I know that many times hardware was brought and left behind because no one needed it or could use it. Sometimes Dave takes the hardware down to the recycling plant. Sometimes it is good hardware in good shape and it just isn't needed.

This week someone I know was about to drop 40$ for a sound card. It was just one of the cheapest he could find. I have like 4 Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 5.1 cards just sitting in a box! So I gave him one and helped him not spend 40$ needlessly (I am sure the store disagrees on my point of view for that sale but whatever...). We may not have a need for this stuff, but surely someone does! This got me thinking...All of this hardware that members bring and isn't used, why don't we try to help get it to someone who can use it?

I know there are places that this stuff can probably just be dropped off (like freecycle, or heck just post a craigslist ad to pick it all up) but in my opinion that doesn't really help because we don't know that any of it will actually be used. However, what if we tried to sell it? I know several members frequently sell on ebay and craigslist and other places. What if we set something up so that members could donate something like a box of soundcards, sell them for 15$ then maybe keep a couple of bucks for the work they have done and at the next meeting they bring in 10$ worth of donuts, or donate the 10$ for the next "game day"?

I know a lot of us are busy now a days and the last thing I want to do is dump another project on Randy. However, for those who might be willing to sell stuff for the group, what are your thoughts on the matter? Do you know of any one who could help?

Also, since the donations are really by the community and for the community and FWLUG isn't really a group/business...anybody know what we will have to do to not step on the toes of the law? I am sure I can find out the nitty gritty details if need be.

So thoughts, questions, flames?

Have fun!
~S~
stack

Re: What to do with donations

Postby JohnThree16 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:28 am

Stack,

You pose a great question. I was a total newcomer to LINUX and over the last year, FWLUG has helped me to learn more and you have assisted me to get my old system upgraded with a new one. I am very grateful. I would be willing to look into this further. I had several people approach me about an affordable PC and/or about parts. I have check around at some of the places around town to find some Pent2 at 200-300 dollars.

My thoughts....if we are looking to promote linux, we can work to get some of the things put together to the points a person installs a hard drive. We can provide them with some material about user friendly OS and a couple of OS CD's. I am of the mind set there is a transition of home PC moving to Linux OS. I was VERY leary when I first came to the first linux meeting because I had seen the OS with lousy GUI interfaces. The more people see that linux has OS systems that are user friendly and can get MS office comparable software for free. Well they consider the cost to get up and running. Last month presentation with SME I thought was great and will have great appeal to more experienced PC users.

I think that anytime that we are looking to make money there needs to be accountable. That would be my biggest concern.

Some of these funds could help to purchase needed IT equipment of our own or help a linux project, or give linux more expose to Fort Worth. I am have been playing with some software that keeps track of inventory, sales and allows a user to build an 'ebay' web site. I have not gone to far with it. We could do look into software and an online store.

I am not sure if it is still going on, but Dallas had a 1st Saturday of the month computer sale. We could take the initiative to networking people in Fort Worth/Tarrant county to do the same. As a linux group we could lead out and it get our group a little more exposer. Heck we could take some of the funds and buy a couple of affordable hard drives and set up a couple systems for people to look at. Hold a raffle and the that money from the raffle will help to do it again. That will get some quick exposer...

I am with you. Anyone else care to chime in????
JohnThree16

Re: What to do with donations

Postby stack » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:04 am

Well I have already begun trying to find people interested. So far not much luck, but I did get a few more places willing to donate their old equipment!

I also 100% agree with the accountability need if there will be money going around. I am also very interested in that tracking software.

I think I am going to bring this up at the meeting this Saturday.

Thanks for replying!
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions