Need Memory for Dev box

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Need Memory for Dev box

Postby stack » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Hello,
I am helping build up a new PC for someone who is learning game programming under Linux. I have been collecting parts from various donors and have been given this motherboard ( http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Asustek-P4B533-VM ). However, no Memory came with the donation. I was able to dig up a single 256MB stick, but that is barely enough to run a GUI much less a development environment for games (well maybe if they were cmd line games....).

Anyway, I thought I would ask the group. Does anyone have any memory that they would be willing to donate?

The motherboard only has 2 slots capable of 1GB each. It does not like my 333 or 400Mhz DDR memory; it only likes PC2100 233 Mhz memory.

Seeing as how I built another system with the same type of memory a few months ago and was unable to find anyone with this memory type, I am not really expecting a ton of responses. However, it doesn't hurt to ask. :-D

Thanks!
~S~
stack

Re: Need Memory for Dev box

Postby stack » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Man, I am having some bad luck with this system...First memory, then processor (another post), and now the monitor just blew.

I remember bringing like 5 monitors to the group a couple of months ago. Does any one know if there are any left? Or did they all get taken? I am hoping that one might still be on that table at the old building...

Randy, if you get a chance, will you check for me please?

If not, does anyone have a spare they don't mind getting rid of?

Thanks!
~Stack~
stack

Postby Davemon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 pm

I'll bring my memory sticks....

No spare monitors at this time.

Davemon
Davemon

Postby Insanity5902 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 am

I've got a spare monitor, but I can't find the power supply for it. It was one of the early LCD's that use the external power brick. I'll see if I can dig it up
Insanity5902

Postby LinuxNative » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:48 am

I have a nice 21" Nokia monitor. It's at my parents house in Carrollton. I won't be there before Saturday, but I will be going by there on Sunday. We can meet for lunch next week, and I can pass it off to you. If you want it.
LinuxNative

Postby shultzjr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:23 am

I'll trade you one monitor for the alpha server. I didn't take all the monitors when I went to get my batch so there should be at least one left at the old place.

later,
charles....
shultzjr

Postby Randy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:31 am

stack wrote:Man, I am having some bad luck with this system...First memory, then processor (another post), and now the monitor just blew.

I remember bringing like 5 monitors to the group a couple of months ago. Does any one know if there are any left? Or did they all get taken? I am hoping that one might still be on that table at the old building...

Randy, if you get a chance, will you check for me please?

If not, does anyone have a spare they don't mind getting rid of?

I don't know about any that are left over, but I have a couple of 17" CRTs here at work that we'll probably be getting rid of. I know the Acer seems to work as I have it connected to a PC, just now. Not sure about the Viewsonic I just retrieved. You're certainly not without the means to get a replacement judging from all the responses, so far. :)

Let me know...
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby stack » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Sweet! Thanks everyone!
I appreciate it!
stack

Postby stack » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:02 pm

I know I am about to double post as well as cross topics but I figured this should be put here as well...If it really offends someone then send me a PM
*zips up asbestos suit*
*cough * cough *

Anyway, someone a few months ago was asking for 256MB sticks of PC100/PC133 memory. It looks like I have 4 sticks (possibly more) that have come my way so I will bring them to the meeting on Saturday. I just don't remember who needed them.....
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions