The look and feel of our beloved FWLUG website?

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

The look and feel of our beloved FWLUG website?

Postby shultzjr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 pm

I think "we" should get together some time to provide help and support to the process of updating the FWLUG website. Some things are better done by one person and others tend to work out better if done by a group. In this case a bigger number and better ideas might come from a group of computer people with regard to out website. Anyone else interested?

later......
shultzjr

Re: The look and feel of our beloved FWLUG website?

Postby TexWebslinger » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:22 am

A complex website, is best done with one person who knows all about it. Yes that is a problem if you lose that one person, but it is far too easy for zigging and zagging in a complex environment. Yes, it demands documentation if this method is selected, which is a great thing in a high turnover environment but..who has the time and energy to do all of this? KISS(Keep It Simple, Stupid) comes to mind and I think Randy has done a fantastic job with it...
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Postby Randy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:31 am

I agree that the website needs to be re-done. It's dated, hard-to-manage, and downright ugly in places. I've looked into a few packages that would make it easier to update and manage.

The problem I tend to run into during implementation has been the fact that our web host uses Debian stable to run things - aka mostly old and dated. I understand perfectly why they use it, too, so don't take that as a knock against our provider or Debian. :)

Anyway, most of these content management systems require a minimal MySQL database version - typically 4.1.x or higher. In our case, we're running on MySQL 4.0.24 which has presented some problems in moving forward.

Here's what I suggest:

Let's add this topic to the July meeting's agenda and come up with a list of packages, the pros and cons of these packages, which ones may or may not work in the current environment, and try to narrow it down to something we can all agree on - then implement it. Terry has mentioned using some form of Wiki (there's a ton of those out there). I've previously demonstrated Drupal, but it can a beast to set up. The latest version of Drupal will not work with the web host. There's Joomla, phpnuke, myphpnuke, etc., which are other CMSs.

I've often thought of just making the forum the front end and abandon the old website altogether. That is another possibility. Charles, please make sure you bring this up at the meeting. I have a feeling I'm going to have some sleepless nights between now and July 12th (long story).
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby shultzjr » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:07 am

hey all,

First, I am glad to see some movement on this and yes Randy I know how difficult it can be managing the website and I appreciate all the work. I am not sure about all the website management software but what I am hoping for is that we end up with a process in the future that includes website updates the day after a group meeting so that when people see the FWLUG website they will know about the next meeting and can plan accordingly. I know that it is a tall order but I think it can be done. I think that is why the website has 3 months worth of dates and times but with the changing environment one person say the day after a monthly meeting could do this in about half an hour, my guess. The trick would be to keep it VERY EASY to do and one person could do it say on a sunday morning after the meetings. Maybe the website needs an area called up to the minute news like an ongoing postiog area so that strangers just skipping by could see. (What is it with this spell checker, it seems to not know a lot of words?!!! Is it teachable?) One idea is to put the date and time of the upcoming meetings on the main page and maybe a contact person right next to it near the upper left hand part of the screen so that even people who have vga 640x480 or text can see it right off. With gas getting so high I am not sure that I will be able to make every meeting and one thing that I would like to see in an area on the website that had overheads of the presentations or at least an outline of what was presented. Should be the work of the presenter and not the website admin. It could be as simple as the presenter making a file of the content and uploading it to the website in the appropriate place.

enough for now....

PS. Just a thought as I was proof reading, how difficult would it be to do real time video streaming of the meetings/presentations over the Internet and into a file so that one could view them at a later date? I would be happy to supply the hardware if not too expensive.
shultzjr

Postby Tracy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Joomla!
Tracy

Postby TexWebslinger » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:22 pm

I had the building wired for live streaming, up to 5 streams at once. We tried that 8 years ago. We did not record it tho. There was a 26second delay :) We used the Real Server..don't know of linux software? We had all types of issues, just like my Bible teach in TN. IF you have a white board or over head, then you really need that to be the focus of the video. The speaker can after all, have the audio. Moving the camera around to follow the speaker requires additional coding and bandwidth. Then the wall board is too out of focus, too small/etc...To have a fixed camera with speaker and wall board requires HIGH resolution. More than normal bandwidth will allow. This is even possibly more than the older cameras will do. Now if you want to do an HD camera, and digitize a dvd..that may work :)
I purchased a digi pad that could be written on, then use computer monitors for screens. An input of this would be best. A camera on a board gets the person in the way at times...The final recording, will need to be edited to save wasted time, and bandwidth....but what do I know?

In addition this would require, setup and tear down, as well as storage of equipment. Who is going to do that? Who is suppling the equipment? You will need wireless mics as well. Batteries will be required for each meeting. Each time stuff is moved, its a chance of failure of some nature.

Best wishes with it....
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Postby Randy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 am

As this was discussed at the July meeting, I'm going to start another topic for that express purpose.

Briefly, we're looking to establish the colour scheme and some kind of new logo.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Return to FWLUG General Discussions