First Post

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

First Post

Postby Tracy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Okay Randy. I just read your post "Is this thing on..." so I decided to post. Sorry I haven't been to many meetings but things have been very busy here in Weatherford. I just replaced our email gateway server running Symantec with Ubuntu/Exim4/Mailscanner/ClamAV/Mailwatch. It took some doing to get everything working but once I got it setup it works great. I used Postfix instead of Exim on my first setup but Postfix wasn't able to handle large amounts of mail for some reason. We receive about 200,000 emails from the internet a day and it blocks about 95% of them. That's considerably better then Symantec did. We estimate that less than one percent of our incoming email is legitimate email. That's impressive!

So far I have converted the school district over to the following Linux solutions.

Phone system - Asterisk
DNS - Bind9
Web site - Jumla
Email Gateway - Mailscanner
A few apps done in PHP on Linux/MySQL

I'm sure there is something else but I can't remember right now. I'm on vacation.
Tracy

Re: First Post

Postby Randy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 pm

You have been busy!

I hope you'll try to make it to the Saturday meeting. Terry is going to give us a presentation on Slackware tagfiles (in case you didn't get the e-mail :) ). That, and we haven't seen you, or any of the others from Weatherford, in quite some time. I'm doing good to make it to each meeting with the way my schedule has been.

I had considered Joomla and Drupal as potential replacements for our web page, but the current software our hosting provider uses isn't supported by the latest versions.

It's not like I'm going to have a lot of time, either. I'm in the process of changing network providers at work, unifying our network infrastructure once the change has been completed, and deploying Asterisk at our corporate office.

Again, I hope you can make it to the meeting on Saturday!
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Return to FWLUG General Discussions