More hardware

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

More hardware

Postby stack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 am

OK so I just got a TON of hardware that came my way. Sorting though it now. There is no way I am going to be able to haul all of this away by the end of the day (5pm Friday April 4th, 2008) so I am picking through it to find anything that might be useful. Sorry, but my vette doesn't have /that/ much space to take it and sort through it later. :-)

So far here is what I have, a ton of P2's...a couple of p3 450's...nothing of great interest to me considering there are already several of these systems sitting around where we meet. So far the fastest system I have come across is a dual P3 600Mhz, rackmountable, no hard drives (the entire bay got pulled along with the raid controller card), I think it has 512MB memory but it is a weird PC133 ecc registered special memory from compaq so replacement memory may be pricey, the onboard network cards are def gone (aka dead), and the admin thinks the power supply is going. All of these issues are why the box is being thrown out and quite frankly I don't blame them. No drive system, special memory, onboard failures, flaky power supply....compaq....I am not even going to bother looking at the box unless someone wants me to. (although special memory...I may go yank that just in case....)

I pulled out a few network cards, pulling out some memory (found a good chunk of 32M and 64M PC100 but I got tons of that laying around already so I just tossed them; 128M and above I am keeping regardless of memory speed/type), several systems have 16x cdroms....there is a lot of old junk here.

If anyone is looking for something in particular let me know and I will go through the junk again and see if I can find it. Or if you just need basic parts like a generic cdrom drive or network card or basic sound card, ect. If I find something of interest I will post it.

Again, at 5pm today the recycling crew comes and grabs anything I have not already hauled away. If you are looking for something specific, let me know.
stack

Re: More hardware

Postby stack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:08 am

quick update: found a p3 733 dell. Everything looks to be in good shape. I have 2x256MB sticks that seem work OK in it. It has no hard drive either, but get a new drive and I will slap in the memory and you have a good email box or anything else. I have a p3 700 with 256M that drives the front end for my MythTV setup and I have a p3 700 with 512MB of ram that is my firewall. I am using lesser machines at the moment so I have set this one aside. If anyone wants to lay claim to it just post back and I will be happy to give it to you at the meeting. If no one wants it then I am sure I can find a use for it.

Also, there are a TON of these old dell machines. I have been gutting a few of the case parts because I have a few old dell boxes at home where the case parts are bent/warped/busted. If anyone else needs case part replacements please post a pic of the model you have and I will see if I can't loot you a replacement.

I am also passing up all of the power supplies. There are a lot of 200Watt, a few 250Watt, and I know I saw at least 1 300Watt. Pulling out the power supplies is too big a pain to do on all of them, but if you need/want one. Please post! I will be happy to yank one.

Again, if you don't post I am not going to take it simply because I can't. So I am taking only what is wanted or needed.
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions