Linux, hardware advice

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Linux, hardware advice

Postby jmsg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:16 pm

hi folks
I am new to linux. I have thought about getting a live cd dist and running linux in conjunction with windows until i get a handle on its file system etc. However, to speed the transition i was thinking about just buying a modest box with just linux os installed and getting used to it from the gitgo. Do any of you have knowledge about the dell inspiron 530N machines that come pre-insalled with Ubuntu 7.XXX distro? They sell for about the low $500 to the mid $700 range with and without monitor etc. If there are other machines on the market that any of you might recommend i would be interested in hearing from you. The reason for considering Dell is obvious in that they are in Texas and have pre-installed Inbutu on these machines. Also, if these machines are installed with Inbutu should i feel comfortable with compatiability (hardware and software). The 530 comes in laptops and desktops, i am looking at a desktop.
thanks in advance.
jmsg

Re: Linux, hardware advice

Postby stack » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:24 am

I don't have any direct knowledge on that particular model except that I have heard a lot of good things about it. There are a ton of reviews and so far the whole Dell-Ubuntu relationship has been a good one. If you are willing to spend the money, I would say that is a good move.

The upside to buying from Dell is that you know you will not have a problem with Ubuntu Linux. If you want to try out SuSE or Debian or Kubuntu the hardware will work just as well. If you decide that Linux is not for you, well, Windows will install on that box so it isn't like you are unable to use the hardware.

If you want to see a bunch of different distros and have the chance to play around with them, come to the meetings. There are several systems set up that have different distros and many members bring their laptops with various distros installed. If you want to see one in particular, post back on the forums and I am sure someone can bring something to demo.

Take care and Have Fun!
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions