Projects we would like to do

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Projects we would like to do

Postby stack » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:22 am

I just wrapped up 2 big projects I have been working on and I am looking around at the other projects I have on my To-Do list trying to figure out what I want to do next. Some of these projects are just weekend projects and others I am going to need help with. As I thought about pulling together the resources for some of these projects, I figured I would ask the group and see if maybe anyone was interested in joining me or if there was enough interest in a project for a meeting.

I am also very interested in what projects others are working on. I am trying to broaden my horizons, as it is said, so I am curious what others are working on. I am sure that there are those in the group that are taking Linux in a totally different direction and it might be fun to tag along.

Maybe its just me, but I would like to see what others are working on so please post! Maybe we can find new material for the monthly meetings. Maybe the group has no interest in a project but a few of us do have an interest and we can just get together for a weekend and have some fun.

Projects I am constantly working on or always have interest in (and especially am open to leeching any information I can from experts :D ):
- C programing
- Bash programming
- Parallel programming
- MySQL (this is the new one on this list :P )

Small Projects:
- Transcoding in MythTV - So hour long recordings don't take up 1.09GB.
- MDADM - It's easy enough to build a software RAID with Linux nowadays but many do not know what to do when a drive dies. It has been almost 2 years since I last had to do a recovery and while there are tons of tutorials, I would like to actually do it for fun before I have to do it IRL. :)

Larger Projects:
- Linux on random hardware - I have a ton of old equipment and random non-mainstream processors I think would be fun to get a build of Linux on them. If anyone has odd hardware I am almost always game for trying to get Linux on it.
- Full blown security network - Most everyone has setup a firewall and has the basics but I would like to set up a full network: File and Services Server, Web server, Desktop system, Wireless with a Laptop, Firewall, Honeypot, IDS (Detection software like Snort AND altercation software like Tripwire). Then just turn it loose on a bunch of guys and try to crack it and break it. For anyone out there who is trying to configure networks to keep bad guys out this might be a fun project.

Projects I have never successfully completed:
- Gentoo - I have never gotten a successful install :oops: I know it's embarrassing but not only has it defeated me time and time again but it is the only distro that has defeated me so badly that I didn't touch a computer for nearly a week afterwards..... Hrmm...Now that I think about it, it has been a couple of years since my last attempt so maybe this weekend I will give it another shot...I just hope it hasn't gotten so easy to install that the challenge is gone :? Meh, if it has then I can just download an older ISO and go from that :D
- Dual monitor setup - I have tried Intel, ATI, and Nvidia. I have used multiple outputs on a single video card and one output on multiple identical video cards. I have tried proprietary video drivers and open source video drivers. The best I have ever been able to do was ATI drivers on a single ATI card with 2 monitor connections and I had duplication (same thing on both screens). The saddest part is that sometime ago I had to build a system for a project that absolutely required dual video. After a full weekend, the box ended up being XP. That left a sour taste in my mouth that still pisses me off. I have been told that Ubuntu has a new screen resolution program that can handle dual video easier then Windows. Last week my brother dropped by his old 128MB dual head PNY video card so that has been set aside for this project. I am hoping that this is truly easier then windows now...

Projects I think would be good for the group (or at least projects I think would be fun to do with a group of people...):
- Rebuild the Linux Kernel - So most people don't care to do this, but it's kinda fun for people who want to know more about the kernel. Personally it's been over 3 years since I last did it and so much has changed that I think it would be fun if everyone brought a computer and we did an rebuild as a group. Especially since we would all probably be using different distro's and so we would all be able to see the tools that the distros provide in action. I am also interested in doing some benchmark testing before and after. Unlike the early kernel, the modern kernel is really good and most distros are really good about packaging it. Just how much of an improvement can be made rolling your own with the modern kernel? I think it would be fun to find out first hand.
- Build a live CD - Sure there is Knoppix and the half million spin offs, but I am pretty certain nearly all of us have thought "I wish Knoppix had this utility. How cool would it be to have my own live cd with just the programs I use on it?"

So what projects do you have?
stack

Re: Projects we would like to do

Postby TexWebslinger » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:23 am

I welcome all types of SIG(Special Interest Groups) to meet. Let me know if I can help in any way. I may not be able to help much but I might be able to help supply a place for the efforts :) I enjoy all aspects of learning about this OS.

I would love to have a SQL, PHP and other SIGs as well....

Let me know when would be best for you. As they say, IF we build it, they will come :)
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Postby tenmei » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:17 pm

I like the idea of 'projects'. Unfortunately I also like the idea of 'sleep' every now and then.
When you're self-employed it seems there's never enough time. But I'd really like to see something like the security project you mentioned. I just yesterday discovered a 'loose board' on the Windows servers I manage, something called tftp. Apparently an issue on linux as well. I nailed it down and things look OK for now, but I'll be honest, in 29 years of working with pc's, I've never heard tftp mentioned before!
What else do I need to know?
:shock:
Will - Registered Linux User #472082
tenmei

Postby Randy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 pm

tenmei wrote:but I'll be honest, in 29 years of working with pc's, I've never heard tftp mentioned before!
What else do I need to know?
:shock:

Really? TFTP is a common network tool (and yes, very insecure, as you found out) for upgrading network devices such as switches and routers. I know I've been using TFTP for about the last 9 years. At home, it's used to keep the phonebooks on the VoIP phones up-to-date. They pull their upgrades from TFTP, also.

If you're new to Linux/UNIX, get ready for a completely different world!
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby stack » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Thanks Wayne for the offer! I will see what I can do to put something together. I certainly have a few ideas I would like to try out.

I will keep the forum updated!
stack

Postby Davemon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm

1) Some wireless cantenna mods. Have tons of various sized cans. Also have some extra Dish TV dishes, would be great to try with USB wireless thumb drives.

2) Others I cannot think of at this time. :)

Davemon
Davemon

Postby stack » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:28 am

ohhh....Good one Davemon!
I have a satellite dish in my closet for that very project that I forgot about! Hrmm...def need to add that to the list.
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions