SHOCKWAVE?

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

SHOCKWAVE?

Postby TexWebslinger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 pm

I know, after checking SHOCKWAVE does not seem to be available for any LINUX system? Anyone know of any campaign to get them to "fix this"?

I know, that WINE or some other VM type application could be done, to run another OS and browser setup, but that is a bunch of overhead just to run SHOCKWAVE for some web site...

I have some kids wanting to run games from sites like Disney. Those games are in SHOCKWAVE. A "kid" does not get the most modern systems, since they may "break" it. Again, running that kids box on LINUX makes it a bit more secure and safe.....

Is their an action going to try to get it going under Linux? Any better answers?

Some Reference information to make things work;

http://www.ubuntux.org/shockwave-player-ubuntu-linux

Submitted by gregkrsak on Thu, 2006-10-05 03:14.

I have discovered a way to get Shockwave working under Linux. I am using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake), Wine 0.99.22, Firefox 1.5.0.7, and Shockwave 10.1.4.020.

1. Install Wine. For those who don't know, this is a program which will allow you to run Windows-based programs from within Linux. Wine will automatically associate .exe files with itself. More information on Wine is available at http://www.winehq.com .
2. Download the Windows version of Firefox and install. Wine will ensure the installer functions correctly.
3. Install the Windows version of Shockwave for Mozilla. I downloaded and installed it manually (slim install).

After these steps, I had a working Shockwave player from within Firefox. Note that to use the Shockwave player, you must start the Windows version of Firefox, which will be running under Wine support.
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Shockwave Player and Plugin for Linux Petition

Postby Randy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 am

All,

There is a petition to get Shockwave on Linux.

http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html

Otherwise, the most viable solution seems to be the instructions Wayne posted.
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Re: SHOCKWAVE?

Postby Davemon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm

My number is 29083.

I posted "Join the movement or get left behind! An open source shockwave alternative will happen without you guys.

Davemon
Davemon

Re: SHOCKWAVE?

Postby TexWebslinger » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks Randy! Another positive effort! Thanks!

I added:
We build Linux systems for the poor. Older computer that are donated. Kids want to go to places like disneychannel.com. Help us help the kids!
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Return to FWLUG General Discussions