General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Press Any Key to Continue...

Postby erroneus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:12 pm

press-any-key-.jpg
erroneus

Re: Press Any Key to Continue...

Postby LinuxNative » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:14 pm

That's just wrong! How could you do something so mean?
LinuxNative

Postby TexWebslinger » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:57 pm

FUN is FUN....but....

Everyone wants to have fun, but not at someone else's expense GUYS! We all cut up and enjoy ourselves, but limits need to be set for grown up behavior and the respect that each of us want and deserve. Some of us, myself included have health issues.

Some things are easy to ignore, some things like snoring over the speaker are a bit harder I will admit. But it is not funny when that is based on a health issues. Sleep Apnea is a sickness. People die from this, or indirectly from this each day. Do a check on it. I nearly killed who knows who, while trying to sleep at the wheel on my last driving trip..Despite efforts of the person, the brain will go into sleep mode. (yes several of you will laugh at this previous statement) Who, in the group does not have a health issue? Do we make fun of people with glasses? How about overweight? What about the temporary situation of a cough or cold? Where are lines drawn to pick on people?

Are we so beaten down that we have to stand on the bodies of our members to allow us to stand taller?

I thought that the purpose of us meeting was to pool our knowledge, and to learn from one another. Learning how to make "fun" of others is something I stopped in elementary school. I aim my jokes at myself so that it causes no harm to others...I am ashamed to be a part of a group that makes fun of people, its members and especially those that have giving of them selves, their equipment, their time and sweat for the efforts of the group...

Lets either be mature, people that respect one another or lets don't meet. Enough of the world will attack each of us, we don't need "friends" to travel to meet up to attack us.
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Postby LinuxNative » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:39 am

I was being sarcastic with my first post. I don't think any of us meant to be cruel, or hurt anyone's feelings. It was just a joke. A funny joke. Not at all meant to be derogatory or make someone feel bad. I can think of much more cruel things to do that to post a sign above a sleeping member's head reading "Press any key to continue". There was no blood, no pain, and everyone kept their lunch money.

"Are we so beaten down that we have to stand on the bodies of our members to allow us to stand taller?" Really?....I mean REALLY Wayne? Isn't that a little over dramatic? I suffer from sleep apnea also. I feel sleepy all the time. I have been know to fall asleep in places where I shouldn't. If this shoe was on the other foot, I would STILL think it was funny.

I hope this doesn't turn into a big dramatic debate. I realize I'm not helping this by my post, but I felt I had to speak out.
LinuxNative

Postby TexWebslinger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 am

DO A N Y T H I N G LIKE THIS AGAIN, AND YOU BETTER HAVE ANOTHER PLACE TO MEET.

D O Y O U! UNDERSTAND ME...........................................PERIOD............

I WILL N O T ENABLE THIS TO OCCUR......

THIS IS UP TO YOU. FIND ANOTHER SPOT TO MAKE SURE YOU MEET.......NO BIG DRAMA DEBATE, JUST A FACT JACK!
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
TexWebslinger

Postby erroneus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:41 am

Oh that's okay. You won't have to deal with me ever again.

But you know something? Coming to a meeting and sleeping during a lecture is just RUDE. You call it a medical problem? If it were SUCH a problem, he shouldn't be driving on our public streets. If he's safe to drive, then he must be cognisant, aware and mature enough to know that it's not a place or time for sleeping. I'm going to assume the later and HOPE it's not the former as it's very dangerous for him and any innocent victims he might have if he isn't sufficiently alert and conscious while driving.

I find it to be shocking that you would tell a public forum that you have had known incidents of falling asleep at the wheel due to medical causes. Were some "public safety" crusader to pick up on this, you might find your driver's license suspended forever. (There's no remedy to the problem that I'm aware of... and if there is, why aren't you taking care of the problem?) This is just as bad if not worse than drunk driving. It's worse because you're not mentally impaired when putting the public at risk when you're driving. Is your insurance company aware of your "disability"? You wouldn't want to travel with a pilot or a bus driver with this medical condition. Do you really think it's safe when there are children in minivans and PT cruisers out there whose lives are placed in added jeopardy any time a person with your condition hits the streets? I mean you make it sound like it's completely out of your control. (We are not talking about narcolepsy here.)

In truth, no one really cared. It was amusing and I don't think the butt of the joke really cared either. The picture was removed and the thread was left in place out of respect for opposing opinions and comments. (I could just as easily have removed the post entirely, but on the off-chance it had some value I decided only to pull the picture.)

Your over-reaction takes things a bit far and likely makes other people just a bit uncomfortable. After all, what other person doesn't poke fun at anyone else? Will they TOO have to face your all-caps threats of exile? No one needs to play in your sand box when you kick sand in their faces like that. I'm not sure which "childish" behavior is worse, but I'm pretty sure "tantrums" like yours are generally less socially acceptable.
erroneus

Postby Terry » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 am

Oh, come on, guys - let's not get carried away here, there's no reason for anyone to leave the group. There's been been some miss-understandings and differences of opinion but no need take it personal. How about dropping this thread and let's get back to Linux discussion and just remember that some things are better left unsaid. I'm sure that no one meant any harm. I've talked to Charles about it and he was not offended, so it's ok - let's exchange a couple of apologies and delete this thread and get back to enjoying our Linux boxes and exchange some useful information on this forum.
Oh, and by the way, Randy, great job with the forum - It's really a very nice bulletin board system. Open source software is really awesome isn't it?
Life is good, Linux is free. :)
Registered Linux User 188099
<><
Terry

Postby TexWebslinger » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:02 am

erroneus, as far as I'm concerned I don't want ANYONE with your attitude around. Your lack of concern or attention to the points I've made backs up the selfish, bullish actions that you have already shown with the childish making fun of others. You would rather embarrass others, rather than talk to them privately about it to find out if anything could be done to help. No you prejudge, and select to make a public ridicule of your ignorance of the situation. Last I heard, the mark of a good programmer is to investigate the situation, to know all the conditions that would be accounted for, the project. You have jumpped head first into attacking someone you know nothing about. Then try to justify your actions...your out of line......................

As far as my sandbox, if some one hits you on my property I'm doing something about it. If someone tears up my property, I'm doing something about it. It is too easy for bully's to try to run over people. RUDE, is to embarrass people on purpose. I'm saying something and taking a stand against these actions. I'm the one paying the light bill, the taxes, the internet connection you used and have invested in building the building, I have a right to say what will happen on my property. Or do you think that you should be able to be the one that can pick on anyone you select, and be RUDE. You, happen to be the one taking these actions. I like you personally, but won't stand for this type of action in "my sandbox". IF you feel, that I have wronged you by explaining about medical conditions, or defending people that have spent hours helping the group as well as donated most of our monitors and power switches....

If you can do a better job, DO IT!

It is FAR too EASY to tear down, especially what you do not understand. So I see where you are coming from. It is hard to build something. Be positive, or be gone..........as far as I'm concerned.

It is my hope, you wake up......
Thanks
Wayne

PS
TexWebslinger

Return to FWLUG General Discussions