10 lessons for Ubuntu Desktop

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

10 lessons for Ubuntu Desktop

Postby stack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:00 pm

It seems that Tectonic has released a lessons guide for people who want to learn how to use Ubuntu.
http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2033

I have quickly browsed through it and it looks like it is worth a deeper look. It covers a LOT of material. While a lot of this knowledge is "Linux in general" there are a few things that are Ubuntu specific. They have a ton of screenshots, which is excellent, but it also may mean that this will be a bit more difficult to translate into OpenSuSE or CentOS or [insert your distro of choice]. I am not a fan of all the program choices that they have and some I completely disagee with; I think that there are much better alternatives for some of this software.
[Soapbox]
For example they recommend and have a tutorial on Rhythmbox. IMHO Rhythmbox represents "the best of the 90's" (eg: it was cool years ago but now it's almost worthless. It is slow and only has the very basics) while Amarok is more then a music player (organization, searches, album art, streaming music, lyrics, statistics, wiki, Magnatune, Mp3 identifier and tagger, and the list goes on and on and on). Dah...anyway...They probably chose it because for some reason it is the default Gnome music player that comes with every Gnome (and therefor Ubuntu) install. I realize that Amarok is my preference and I will shut up now...
[/Soapbox]

There are also things that they bring up and mention but then kind of leave you hanging. For example Skype. They talk about how it's a good alternative for encrypted VoIP and everything, but they don't tell you how to setup and configure it. I know it's easy (done it more then a few times) but from the perspective of someone who this is their first real experience with Ubuntu and Skype then this pretty much just leaves you hanging... I would prefer it if they either a) didn't mention it at all or b) at least point you to a guide to help install it on Ubuntu which I know there are official forums on.

I am certainly going to read it a bit more in detail later on. I highly doubt that I would go through this whole thing with someone (much less a class) but I can certainly see myself pulling out sections of this for people when they ask questions. I can also see myself recommending a newbie to give it a read over. As a quick resource guide this might be useful (I don't mean to be harsh on the guys who did this or the guide, in fact major props, I am just being honest on what I think of it and its possible I am just jealous because I never had something like this :wink: ).

What do you guys think?
stack

Return to FWLUG General Discussions