Free Hardware

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

Free Hardware

Postby stack » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:33 pm

Hey guys,
I talked to a few people at the last meeting about a ton of hardware I have on hand. I was told that I could make the post here for any users. Preferably I would like to see this hardware go to Linux projects that maybe someone has wanted to do but has not had the hardware to do it on. Part of it is stuff I have collected over the years, the other part ( the growing part ) is coming from my company that is upgrading all of their old servers and systems. I explained that I am going to try to recycle the systems into the community and so they just pass it along to me.

Very little of this hardware is state of the art ( most is at least a year old ) but it works. This was all heading to the trash bin before I stepped in. I would much rather the Linux group take it and put it to some use and experiment with it then just thrown away.

I am also sifting out a bunch of bad hardware. If you know a place that will recycle PC's let me know especially if they take it away for free ( there are several places that you can pay to have it taken away; I would like it recycled but I do not care to pay ). I have about 15 systems that I am sorting through. I can not say at this time the full condition of each one.

Anyway, as I sift through this hardware I will post the information on this list. If you have something you are looking for in particular let me know and I will keep an eye out. Please note that there will be no hard drives. Company policy is that we physically destroy the drives when it is decided that they are too old, worthless, and/or busted.

First up:
[edit] I have someone who is interested in a short term project in which he needs to test dual CPU. He does not want this box for a long period of time but it may be a few weeks before he is done with it. If anyone wants to claim it please do so, but just realize I won't be able to get it to you ASAP.
#Compaq ML350
#Dual 600mhz P3
#512MB memory - 4x128 ( http://www.memoryx.net/128277b21.html )
#Rackable system
#4 SCSI hot-swappable bays + CDROM + floppy + 2 spare drive bays
#Plenty of expansion room

I will post more as I sort them.

[edit #1] This 21" CRT appears to be good. The colors look good anyway. Don't see any shadowing. It has a date stamp of 1997 but it is a Digital so who knows how long it will go...
BTW its a beast of a monitor.

[edit #2] This one is a bit interesting. Its an HP Pavilion 8650C with a Gateway motherboard. Its a Pentium2 450 with 64MB of ram. The video card was bad so there is no video card for it yet but if I find one I will add to it. I have a feeling that this might be one that heads to the recycle bin. The only use I can think of is that with a low wattage system you might be able to make a nice music server or really nice firewall.

Also, I do have many network cards and many many sticks of memory that all tested OK. So if you need them or want some of this equipment more beefy then the specs I post just let me know.

{edit #3] HP Pavilion short/compact tower - Celeron 500Mhz 64MB ram. Has built in sound card and video card. System seems to run well.

[edit #4] Dell Optiplex - P3 450Mhz - 64MB ram.
I also raided another system that had a bad Motherboard. So I have even more memory for these systems. Most of them I can probably bump to at least 512MB memory. I also have another network card to add to the list.

[edit #5] Dell Optiplex - P3 450Mhz - 64MB ram

[edit #6] This is a non-factory built system. Generic case, CdRom, Abit SA6 Motherboard with onboard IDE RAID, P3 700Mhz, 128MB ram (again I can pack it with more ram so let me know), it does not have a power supply at this time though I may be able to salvage one from the others.

[edit #7] Empty ATX case. This parts inside of it were dead. Scrapping the rest for parts.

Will continue with this later. Done for the night.
Last edited by stack on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
stack

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Fort Worth has an electronics recycling program. Some details I found on-line follow:

"Cities in Tarrant County and businesses throughout North Texas are finding new ways to dump their dead computers.

Just about the only place the old PCs and Macs are not ending up is in the landfill.

The city of Fort Worth has established two locations for computer recycling: 2400 Brennan Ave. on the north end of town, and 5150 Martin Luther King Jr. Freeway in south Fort Worth.

There, Goodwill Industries of Fort Worth picks everything up, said Raymond Jones, senior vice president of electronic technology.

Goodwill workers refurbish as many of the computers as they can and resell them at Goodwill's computer store at 4005 Campus Drive, a couple of miles north of the Tarrant County College South Campus.

Whatever is left over is stripped for parts, which are also sold at the computer store.

Finally, the remaining metal and aluminum are removed and sold to area salvage ..."

I hope that helps!
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby stack » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Excelent. I will take the refuse there and any systems people do not want. Thanks for the info.
stack

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 pm

stack wrote:Excelent. I will take the refuse there and any systems people do not want. Thanks for the info.

Everyone - Just be sure to call before you go out there to make sure the program is still on. While the info I got was recent (March 2007), it's always a good idea to check in case the program has been discontinued.

Remember, this is government at work! ;)
-- Randy
Randy
Site Admin

Postby glevans2 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 am

Stack

I'm interested in the Compaq ML350 dual proc system. I was talking to a couple others at the last meeting (my first to be able to attend), and there was mention of someone wanting to start a training center. I suggested we set up and test a small K12LTSP http://k12ltsp.org/ server with clients and see how it would work. If it is still available, I would like it to test this possibility.

Garen
Garen L. Evans, II
++It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.++
glevans2

Postby stack » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:41 am

Garen,
I think I might get it back this weekend. I will be happy to bring it to the next meeting.

We also got several of the new servers in, so migration is underway. I know several of the systems have been claimed for use in training several of the newer guys, so I don't know what if anything I will get in the next batch. I will keep you guys posted.
stack

Postby TexWebslinger » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:31 am

Bring everything FREE to the meeting. I have multiple shelves set up that everyone must walk by to be seated for the meeting. They will be able to review the FREEBIES and take what they want when they leave....
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

I take some dead harware...

Postby Davemon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 am

Post in advance, but I can take some dead hardware to a recycle yard near me.

The guy is happy to get it and then lets me pick through what he gets. Some I sell, some I pass out to the members, some sits on the tables for members to use and experiment with.

But DO give some notice. I only have a mini van. :)

Davemon
Davemon

Postby theTick197 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:13 pm

Is the monitor still up for grabs?
theTick197

Re: Free Hardware

Postby glevans2 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 am

Does anyone have an HP JetDirect card that might fit in an HP LaserJet 4P?
Garen L. Evans, II
glevans2

Postby stack » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:24 pm

theTick197 wrote:Is the monitor still up for grabs?

I believe it is. It was at least sitting in the same spot last meeting.

glevans2 wrote:Does anyone have an HP JetDirect card that might fit in an HP LaserJet 4P?

Doh! I had a bunch of HP stuff but I let some guy I know pick through it and I am pretty certain he took the only one I know I had. I will double check my pile o stuff and if I find it I will bring it to the next meeting.
stack

Postby glevans2 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:12 pm

In need of a simple pci video card.

The multipurpose video/nic/scsi card in my server
is really bad, and I'm afraid it is going to die.

I already have a replacement nic, and I don't
use scsi, so if I can get a simple pci video caed
I can just remove it (safely, I hope).
Garen L. Evans, II
glevans2

Postby stack » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:26 pm

glevans2 wrote:In need of a simple pci video card.

The multipurpose video/nic/scsi card in my server
is really bad, and I'm afraid it is going to die.

I already have a replacement nic, and I don't
use scsi, so if I can get a simple pci video caed
I can just remove it (safely, I hope).

I will pick through my stuff. I know I had like two 8mb PCI video cards at one time but I am not sure what happened to them. I will look tonight and bring it tomorrow if I find any.
stack

Postby stack » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:12 pm

HAHA! I found one! Its a S3 Trio64. Knoppix likes it so I think its OK. Other then that I have not really tested it much so your on your own on that count :-P
I will bring it tomorrow.
stack

Postby stack » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:26 pm

I got another haul for people.
So far I have 4 identical Athlon 1Ghz systems with 256MB ram (have not tested the rest yet). One has a bad power supply but using a spare I was able to verify that the system works.

So who wants to build a cluster? :-P
stack

Next

Return to FWLUG General Discussions