Idea, In house videos & distros

General questions regarding Linux.

Moderators: Terry, FWLUG Administrator

What do you Think???

ISO distro archival server is great! Video is stupid.
33%
ISO distro is stupid, Video is great tho
No votes
ISO and Video server are a great idea
67%
ISO & Videos are a waste, I have the net! Forget it!
No votes

Total votes : 6

Idea, In house videos & distros

Postby TexWebslinger » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Several of us have talked about the idea of having a distro server. This would act as both an archival device for old distros and for the newest ones that may not be able to get because of "load factors" on the host servers. Some debate has been generated as to if this is a worth while endivor.

Well NOW I'm bring up the idea of online videos. No not movies, but news clips of computer related topics. Things that may be temporary on some sites. I bring this up, because a friend just emailed me a 8.5mg wma file on what M$ view of the desktop will be in the next 3 years. Some of which will be out this comming November. It is not Linux, but more hardware related. I in know way wish to "abuse" our host of this site by starting to put huge iso's or videos on it. BUT we might have a topic post list here, with links that may only be hit from within the meeting place on a local lan. This also brings up the issue of copyright issues. ALL items would have to be free of any of these issues, naturally. So posting of this would have to be approved, on site. Transfer/upload would have to be done, on site..so bring those files down :)
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Postby TexWebslinger » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:32 pm

OK, I have set up a small 4u for distros. I'm putting on the final touches, but it should be ready for the Saturday meeting.
The main data drive is a 160g that is mirrored.
Thanks
Wayne

PS
Please submit your favorite, web page, mail digest, or other linux "notes/tips", for a Linux Link page.
Its not fancy, but it will not drop the information, until the link becomes invalid.
www.TexWebslinger.com/~linux/
TexWebslinger

Return to FWLUG General Discussions